I’ve not been feeling up to snuff lately so I’ve been watching a lot of movies. Some of them I watched during the weekend when “he” was visiting, but I’ve been watching quite a few since as well.
The other night though I started watching Bride Wars, and I don’t know if I just wasn’t in the right mood, or what it was – but I only managed to watch it for a while before it was annoying me so much I had top turn it off.
The premise of the movie is that these two girls have been friends for like 20 years – they’re really great friends. And because of a mistake their weddings end up on the same date in the same place (the one they’ve both coveted for said 20 years apparently).
There are several things about this movie that doesn’t sit right with me.
1. These girls have been friends for 20 years – the date of their weddings ruins this? Really?
2. Why can’t they just have a double wedding? It’s made out to be a big no no in this movie. If they’re that great friends, I don’t see the issue?
3. The way it’s made up is that getting married is THE BIGGEST THING EVER and what they’ve been waiting for their entire lives. As if there is nothing as important as getting married. Heck, one of them can’t even wait for her guy to propose, she just doesn’t have the patience. And in fact before that she’s found a box from Tiffany’s and assumes he’s going to propose and tells all her girlfriends that she’s engaged. Who does that?
Don’t get me wrong. If you’ve gotten married I’m sure you’re wedding was a great day and really important to you. I think that your wedding day should be special to you, but because of what it stands for – pledging your love to the person you want to spend the rest of your life with.
In this movie the guys barely seem to be important, it’s all about THE WEDDING. To me that just doesn’t sit right. Nor does the whole idea of that it’s all a girl’s ever wanted – to get married and have a big wedding.
Maybe it’s just me, but it’s not such a huge deal to me. Sure, I hope to eventually find a guy that I love enough and who loves me enough that we want to spend the rest of our lives together. And sure, I’m old-fashioned enough to want to have a proper wedding.
But it doesn’t have to be a big thing. And it’s not the most important thing about it -the most important thing is the vows and the love. Not where the wedding is or how much it costs or any of those things.
Maybe the movie gets better later on. I might try to finish it one of these days. Has anyone else seen it? Did you like it?
Other movies I’ve been watching lately:
- Pirates of the Carribean 2 & 3 (seen before, but still good!)
- Prince of Persia (okay wasn’t paying so much attention, which was probably good.. didn’t like it much)
- Anchorman (only a few years too late… *cough*)
- Land of the Lost (not awesome, but some parts are funny)
- Bridesmaids (really funny, recommend!)
- Zookeeper (funny enough to watch)
- Just Go With It (I quite liked this one)
- The Heartbreak Kid (bit funny)
- Faster (good action!)
- Dinner for Schmucks (funny!)
- The Pursuit of Happyness (good!)